NURS 320: Module 2: Rural Dwellers
This module introduces some common characteristics of rural dwellers as they relate to healthcare. It is very important to remember that rural dwellers are not all the same! Yet it is important to appreciate some characteristics that may be more prevalent in rural areas so care can be adapted to meet unique needs and preferences.
1) Consider approaches nurses should take in adapting care to meet the needs of unique individuals.
2) Explore the significance of the Symptom- Action – Timeline Process as it relates to rural dwellers.
4) Choose approaches that would facilitate positive outcomes when caring for those who delay care.
5) Appraise factors that contribute to the use of complementary and alternative approaches to care in rural dwellers.
Buehler, J.A., Malone, M., Mjerus-Wegerhoff, J.M. (2013). Patterns of Responses to Symptoms in Rural Residents: The Symptom-Action-Timeline Process. In C.A. Winters (Ed.), Rural nursing: Concepts,theory, and practice (pp. 131 – 139). New York: Springer.
This is chapter nine in the online text Rural nursing: Concepts, theory and practice. http://ssuproxy.mnpals.net/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=e680sww&AN=547705&scope=site
National Council of State Boards of Nursing (2018). A nurse’s guide to professional boundaries. https://www.ncsbn.org/ProfessionalBoundaries_Complete.pdf
Shreffler-Grant, J.M., Nichols, E., Weinert, C., & Ide, B. (2013). Complementary Therapy and Health Literacy in rural Dwellers. In C.A. Winters (Ed.), Rural nursing: Concepts, theory, and practice (pp.205 – 214). New York: Springer.
This is chapter 13 in the online text Rural nursing: Concepts, theory and practice. http://ssuproxy.mnpals.net/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=e680sww&AN=547705&scope=site
Swan, M. A., & Hobbs, B. B. (2021). Lack of Anonymity and Secondary Traumatic Stress in Rural Nurses. Online Journal of Rural Nursing & Health Care, 21(1), 183–201. https://ssuproxy.mnpals.net/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ccm&AN=150428679&scope=site
• Since rural dwellers have different definitions of health, it is important that healthcare professionals respect values and approach care from the client’s unique perspective.
• It is important to remember that rural dwellers and rural communities are not all alike. There is much diversity (client, family, nurse, and healthcare system) in rural areas.
• It is not uncommon for rural dwellers to delay seeking professional healthcare for a variety of It is important that healthcare professionals are sensitive to issues surrounding the healthcare experience of rural dwellers.
• The Symptom-Action-Timeline (SATL) process is explored in relationship to rural dwellers.
• Chronic illness impacts many. It is not uncommon for rural and urban dwellers experience and manage chronic illness in different ways.
• Rural dwellers may be drawn to use complementary and alternative therapies for unique reasons.
• Caring for individuals the nurse knows on a personal level can be beneficial or detrimental.
You will complete your first synthesis and application assignment. Synthesis and Application assignments have two separate components. Please see the information in the Synthesis and Application Assignment folder for a video and more detailed direction. Refer to the grading rubric (Appendix B in your syllabus or at the end of this document) for how points can be earned. Carefully note the criteria for a professional nursing journal as found in the course syllabus (p. 9).
Part 1: Choose one of the situations below. You will need to refer back to information from your assigned readings in Module One in addition to the readings assigned for this module. Respond to the situation you choose in the discussion forum adhering to the grading rubric in Appendix B. Note that all parts of the discussion question/topic must be addressed to earn full points. You can earn up to 15 points for your initial post.
Part 2: There is an opportunity to review what your peers have posted and build on their knowledge and insights by the date included on the course schedule. You will post a substantive addition to one of your peers’ post. Your substantive addition must address the topic/situation other than the topic/ situation addressed in your original synthesis and application post. You can earn up to 10 points for a substantive addition that meets rubric criteria.
As you search for articles the first weeks of this course, two journals that may be especially helpful are the Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care and the Journal of Rural Health. Both are readily accessible via the SMSU library. There are many other articles and journals that will be helpful as well.
Situation One: Please post your primary post in both the discussion forum and the assignment box. Thanks.
You are the nurse working in a rural hospital. Joe is a 64 year old gentleman, who has been working as a farmer for the last 40 years. Joe’s wife Ann brings him to the emergency department after he complained of chest pain, became short of breath, and his skin was cool and clammy. Joe says this has happened before, that he feels fine now and this isn’t bad enough to keep him from getting back home and tending to his cattle. Ann insists that since he is here now (they live 30 miles from the hospital) he should have this checked out Explore at least two concepts of Rural Nursing Theory (from those addressed in Chapter 1 in your text by Winters, i.e. work beliefs and health beliefs; isolation and distance; self-reliance; lack of anonymity; outsider/insider; and old-timer/newcomer). Discuss how these two concepts are relevant to this nursing situation.
2. As the nurse, explain how would you approach this situation to achieve the best outcome? (be sure to consider concepts of Rural Nursing Theory). Note: the implications for nursing practice section (pages 11-12) of chapter 1 in your Rural Nursing text maybe helpful as you discuss nursing approaches.
Joe stays in the Emergency Department (at his wife’s insistence). As you complete your assessment, you learn that Joe has a strong family history or coronary artery disease, has experienced these symptoms before, has not seen a physician for over 20 years, has tried over the counter remedies, and even asked his neighbor (a retired nurse) for some advice.
3. Consider the Symptom- Action –Timeline (SATL). How does it relate to Joe’s situation? How can the nurse be the most effective in this type of situation?
You are the nurse working in a primary care clinic in a rural community. One of your neighbors comes to the clinic but is very hesitant to share her mental health challenges. Please respond to demonstrate synthesis and application of the assigned readings.
1. Compare and contrast probable lack of anonymity in rural vs. urban settings What are at least two positive and two negative factors related to knowing those you care for on a personal level?
3. Consider the Code of Ethics for Nurses, particularly as it relates to professional boundaries. As the nurse, what could you do to help the person seeking care for sensitive concerns share more openly?
Appendix B: Synthesis and Application Assignment
Remember that integrating your own thoughts with evidence from the literature is an effective to demonstrate synthesis and critical analysis. Sometimes a few short direct quotes add value to your work. But remember that long quotes generally serve to share someone else’s thoughts, rather than your analysis. Please refer to the Synthesis and Application folder for a more detail and guidance.
All questions from one chosen scenario/topic addressed in a clear, focused manner. All responses demonstrate critical analysis. (3 points)
Not all questions addressed OR responses not clear and focused
Not all required questions addressed.
Post demonstrates that the assigned content was appropriately reviewed,
Demonstrates limited familiarity and synthesis
Not all questions addressed. Responses do not synthesis of assigned readings
understood, and synthesized. Minimal direct quotations. (points) (6 points)
of assigned content. (3 points)
demonstrate synthesis of assigned readings
At least two professional resources support post. Resources must be integrated, cited, and referenced per APA style. See criteria for professional references on p. 7
of syllabus. Rare APA style errors. (3 pts)
Supported by fewer than two professional references. Or provides evidence-based, scholarly references using incorrect APA format. Or provides non-scholarly references with correct APA format in-text. (1.5 points)
Provides no scholarly reference to support position/ideas in postings/discussion and /or uses no APA format
Punctuation, spelling, spacing, capitalization, and writing mechanics errors are rare. Writing is clear, succinct, focused, organized, Easy to understand main ideas. (2 points)
Fewer than six total writing mechanics
Writing is focused and organized. (1 point)
Six or more writing mechanics errors; run-on sentences. Writing lacks organization or focus (0 points)
Posted in both the discussion forum and the assignment box.
Not posted in both the discussion forum and the assignment box (0 points)
Not posted as directed.
Substantive addition – addition must address the topic/situation other than the topic/ situation addressed in your original synthesis and application post to earn any points.
Addition relevant and valuable to nursing practice
Substantive addition demonstrates thorough review of post. Adds at least one new perspective that would be relevant and valuable in nursing practice situations. (3 points)
Addition accurate, but application to nursing practice limited.
Relevance to nursing practice not included.
Demonstrates critical analysis
Offered a critical analysis of an existing posted. Demonstrates that the assigned content was appropriately reviewed, understood, and synthesized.
Addition demonstrates limited synthesis of assigned content related to the situation/topic. Agreed or disagreed, but did not provide justification.
Response not applicable to the situation/topic.
(0 points) Supported by evidence
At least one professional resource supports post. Resources must be integrated, cited, and referenced per APA style. See criteria for professional references on p. 9
Supported by at least one professional resource. Provides evidence-based, scholarly reference using incorrect APA format Or provides non-scholarly references with fewer
Provides no scholarly reference to support position/ideas in postings/discussion and /or uses no of syllabus. Rare APA style errors. (3 pts)
than four APA format errors. (1.5 points)
APA format (0 points)
Punctuation, spelling, spacing, capitalization and writing mechanics errors are rare. Writing is clear, succinct, focused, organized, Easy to understand main ideas.
Fewer than 6 total writing mechanics
Writing is focused and organized. (0.5 points)
Six or more writing mechanics errors; run-on sentences. Writing lacks organization or focus (0 points
NURS 320: Module 2: Rural Dwellers This module introduces some common characteri
Struggling with a similar assignment? Don’t know where to start? Don’t have time to work on this? Get a high-quality paper written for you from scratch – PLAGIARISM FREE, guaranteed to get you a good grade. To get started, please click on the Submit Your Instructions at the bottom of the page.
NURS 320: Module 2: Rural Dwellers
Need Writing Help? Our writing specialists are here 24/7, every day of the year, ready to support you! Instantly chat with an online tutor below or click here to submit your paper instructions to the writing team.
More than just an assignment.
Who is this homework service for?
* If you are having a really hard class and want to get through it, then this is for you.
* If you have a medical emergency or someone close to you has a medical emergency and you don’t think you’ll be able to turn your assignment on time, this is definitely a service you could use.
* You can use us if you are having a tough Professor who won’t give you the grades you deserve.
* If you have a tight work schedule and you are getting points deducted for not submitting assignments on time.
* English might not be your first language and you feel like you are being left behind in class because of it.
* If you have a large project coming up and don’t think you have enough time to get it done well, definitely reach out to us.
Hi there! My name is Anna.
Super stoked you are checking us out! We would like to help you with your assignment. We just need a few things from you:
* The full assignment instructions as they appear on your school account.
* If a Rubric is present, make sure to attach it.
* Any relevant weekly readings or learning resources.
* Include any special announcements or emails you might have gotten from your Professor regarding your assignment.
* Any templates or additional files required to complete the assignment.
If your assignment is somewhat complex and you need to explain it, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via live chat.
Frequently asked questions
How soon can I get my paper done?
It depends with your deadline. If you need your paper completed in 3 hours, we will deliver it in that time. All you need to do is indicate your deadline in our custom order page here. Alternatively, if you are sending us your instructions via email, please be sure to indicate your deadline.
Will it be completely original? I don't want to be caught in a case of Academic Integrity Violation.
We are as paranoid as you are. Maybe even more! And we understand that the greatest sin you can commit in your academic journey is plagiarizing your academic work. To that end, we have made sure that we check and double-check our papers using high quality plagiarism detection tools such as SafeAssign and Turnitin before submitting the paper to you.
Who is my writer? Is he/she a native English Speaker?
All our writers are native English Speakers. That is not to say that ESL writers are not good, we just prefer hiring native writers because we want the very best people working on your paper. This might mean paying a little bit more for your paper as opposed to when you pay a foreign company whose writers are non-native English Speakers.
What if I need revisions? Will your charge additional for this?
Of course not! If you do happen to require a revision on your paper, our team will handle it for you free of charge. Matter of fact, we won’t rest till you are happy with your paper. So, ask for as many revisions as you need, it’s completely FREE!
Will you give me my money back if I don't like my paper?
We have very few instances where we delivered a paper that a client didn’t fall in love with. But if it so happens that you don’t like your paper for any reason whatsoever, we’ll refund your money back no questions asked.
I have more assignments after this, can you help me with those too?
Of course! And what’s even better is that we can reserve a writer permanently to work on your entire class. This comes in handy for projects which build up on each other and where you need just one writer, one writing style.
I got my order information wrong, can I change that?
Yes you can. Just reach out to our support team via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or live chat here and they’ll help you change the instructions.
Can I place an order via email instead of going through the order page?
Yes you can. Email Anna at email@example.com, she’s in charge of our sales team. Alternatively, you can talk to our Live Chat team here and request to speak to Anna.